Location: 7-13 Willett Street
Outside, it’s just a box and a pediment. Much like the Federal townhouses we’ve covered, New York’s churches from this period are severe. Out of the survivors, the Bialystoker’s form is the plainest of them all, lacking the towers and steeples of St. Mark’s-Church-in-the-Bowery (1799), the Church of the Transfiguration (1801), the Sea and Land Church (1817) and the slightly later St. Augustine’s Chapel (1829).
Inside, it glows. When the Bialystoker congregation purchased the Willett Street Methodist Episcopal Church in 1905, they remade its interior to reflect synagogue traditions of Eastern Europe. This includes a liberal attitude towards the image — there are even representations of the zodiac here.